Join the AFEM Team!
AFEM is always seeking outstanding candidates for volunteer internship positions (up to 6 months) in global emergency care development. AFEM Interns are primarily based in Cape Town, South Africa, but may request placement in a number of other African countries. They will be directly involved in the operations of the organisation as well as special projects matched to areas of interest and expertise. Below is more detailed information about the positions; please read it carefully before applying!
Please note: AFEM also offers several competitive, year-long internship positions per year. The application period for 2017-2018 internships will be open 18 November - 9 December, 2016. To learn more or apply, visit the AFEM Internships page.
General responsibilities of all AFEM interns include:
- to assist with planning and development of annual conferences;
- to develop, manage, and drive AFEM scientific projects throughout Africa;
- to build and maintain relations with sponsors and donors;
- to research and apply for funding opportunities for AFEM projects;
- other duties as required by the organisation.
In addition, successful applicants should be willing to work on a single, circumscribed project in emergency care development during their time with AFEM. This could be research design, data collection or analysis, grant writing, project implementation, program evaluation, etc. AFEM will work with incoming interns to ensure the proposed project is suitable and useful to both AFEM and the intern. It is common for students from overseas institutions to complete a practicum or field experience in health systems development with AFEM. Please note that these positions are not clinical in nature, although we can facilitate visits or clinical shifts for qualified individuals in local facilities.
Qualities a candidate must have in order to apply are:
- A strong interest and relevant experience in global emergency care and the development of emergency care systems
- Spoken and written fluency in English
- Excellent communication and organisational skills, and a strong work ethic
What we’re looking for:
The strongest applications will demonstrate plenty of initiative, team spirit, and a commitment to developing emergency care across Africa. AFEM is a young, rapidly growing organization, so it is particularly important that interns have the ability and desire to work in a dynamic environment requiring them to not only contribute new ideas, but see them to fruition.
The needs of AFEM are myriad, and applications from students or recent graduates of medical, nursing, public health, business, international development, and media/marketing are all encouraged to apply. Medical research experience, language skills, web design, funding connections, epidemiology training, and an interest in finance, media, or marketing are all or particular interest to AFEM. Short term interns are typically either interested in a broad-scope introduction to operations of an international medical non-profit, or looking to gain research or implementation experience in a particular area through work on a single, circumscribed project.
How to Apply:
1. Download and complete the application
2. Attach a one page, single-space statement to your application telling us:
- Why you want to work for AFEM;
- How much time you would like to commit (minimum 6 weeks)
- Which of AFEM’s priority areas you’re most interested in and how you can best contribute to the growth of the organisation;
- Your future professional, personal or academic goals and how you foresee this internship helping you achieve them.
- Anything else you’d like us to know about you.
3. Email the application, a current CV, and the personal statement to firstname.lastname@example.org. Services gets a lot of emails, so you should indicate "Internship Application" in the subject line to ensure it ends up in the right hands. Please also make sure your surname is included in file name of every attached document.
Then what? Applications are reviewed on an on-going basis. You can expect acknowledgement of receipt of your application within two weeks, and strong candidates will be invited to interview within four weeks of application. We do aim to be as efficient as possible in reviewing applications, to notify successful applicants with sufficent time to make travel arrangements.
Ready to apply? Here's the application: