The AFEM Emergency Care Curriculum is now freely available. We have also created a Presentation Bank corresponding to the didactic core of the Curriculum. View, download, or customise individual presentations or entire themed modules.
The newly formed Rwanda Emergency Care Association's website is up and running! Please visit www.recaonline.org to check it out, and email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
Track your handbook
The AFEM handbook of Acute and Emergency Care
Help us learn more about the impact of the handbook by tracking yours-- new or used. Once you enter your number, you'll be able to see a map of where the others are. This tracking will give AFEM a better sense of how the handbook is making its way around Africa and beyond and help us target interventions and training for the future. If you don't have a number in your book, log it as 000.
AFEM's unique Support a Delegate (Supadel) program sponsors the attendance of Emergency Care providers from low and middle-income African countries at our local and international conferences.
“Since its inception (of which I am proud to have been directly involved), AFEM has shown enormous support towards my endeavors in developing my skills in Emergency Medicine. Coming from a work setting with low resources, the Federation has given me excellent opportunities to learn and share my experiences through these conferences, such as the one recently held in Addis Ababa." -AfCEM2014 sponsored delegate (Kenya)
Sponsored delegates and Supadel staff at the WCDEM/EMSSA2015 conference in Cape Town, 21-24 April, 2015
Quick Links to Neat Things:
- #badEM: Brave African Discussions in Emergency Medicine. This blog site is all about promoting the special uniqueness of EM in Africa, and welcomes contributions! Check it out: www.badem.co.za
- Emergency Medicine Kenya Foundation: New vehicle for promoting emergency medicine research and development in Kenya. Follow their current projects or submit an abstract by visiting http://www.emergencymedicinekenya.org. Congrats to Ben Wachira for getting it rolling!
- EM Uganda: A blog dedicated to the growing practice of Emergency and Disaster Medicine in Uganda: http://www.emergencymedicineuganda.com/
- Article two in EPi, about Dr. Gamal Khalifa, champion of Emergency Medicine in North Africa: http://www.epijournal.com/articles/194/meet-gamal-khalifa-champion-of-north-african-em
- 24/7/365: The Evolution of Emergency Medicine. A documentary on the beginning of emergency medicine in the US, and how the founders who led the charge obtained recognition as a specialty
- Our own Hendry Sawe, AFEM VP, in the latest issue of EPi: http://www.epijournal.com/articles/167/hendry-sawe-young-leaders-bring-fresh-energy-to-african-emergency-medicine
- SEARCH-Africa: Increasing access to clean and reliable energy sources in healthcare facilities: http://www.searchafrica.org/
- Support-a-Delegate (Supadel) gets some press: http://stemlynsblog.org/support-an-african-delegate/
- Global Emergency Medicine Literature Review. Highlights and disseminates high quality global EM research through annual publication of a databse of selected articles, summaries, and critical analyses: http://www.gemlr.org/