The AFEM Emergency Care Curriculum is now freely available. We have also created a Presentation Bank corresponding to the didactic core of the Curriculum. View, download, or customise individual presentations or entire themed modules.
Big congratulations to the newly-commissioned Uganda National Ambulance Service!
SEE MORE PHOTOS of the ambulance crew; the Minister of Health launching the service; and the crew in action during Pope Francis' visit to Uganda, 27-29 November, 2015
Save the Dates!
- 4th AFEM Consensus Conference in Cape Town, South Africa. 22 April, 2016: Registration is free!
- International Conference on Emergency Medicine (ICEM) 18-21 April, 2016, Cape Town, South Africa. APPLY NOW FOR SPONSORSHIP.
- AfCEM2016 in Cairo, Egypt. 9-11 November, 2016
Track your handbook
The AFEM handbook of Acute and Emergency Care
Help us learn more about the impact of the handbook by tracking yours-- new or used. Once you enter your number, you'll be able to see a map of where the others are. This tracking will give AFEM a better sense of how the handbook is making its way around Africa and beyond and help us target interventions and training for the future. If you don't have a number in your book, log it as 000.
AFEM's unique "Support a Delegate" (Supadel) program sponsors the attendance of Emergency Care providers from low and middle-income African countries at our local and international conferences.
“Since its inception (of which I am proud to have been directly involved), AFEM has shown enormous support towards my endeavors in developing my skills in Emergency Medicine. Coming from a work setting with low resources, the Federation has given me excellent opportunities to learn and share my experiences through these conferences, such as the one recently held in Addis Ababa." -AfCEM2014 sponsored delegate (Kenya)
for Supadel sponsorship at ICEM2016: 18-21 April, Cape Town, South Africa
Sponsored delegates and Supadel staff at the WCDEM/EMSSA2015 conference in Cape Town, 21-24 April, 2015
Quick Links to Neat Things:
- #badEM: Brave African Discussions in Emergency Medicine. This blog site is all about promoting the special uniqueness of EM in Africa, and welcomes contributions! Check it out: www.badem.co.za
- Emergency Medicine Kenya Foundation: New vehicle for promoting emergency medicine research and development in Kenya. Follow their current projects or submit an abstract by visiting http://www.emergencymedicinekenya.org. Congrats to Ben Wachira for getting it rolling!
- EM Uganda: A blog dedicated to the growing practice of Emergency and Disaster Medicine in Uganda: http://www.emergencymedicineuganda.com/
- Article two in EPi, about Dr. Gamal Khalifa, champion of Emergency Medicine in North Africa: http://www.epijournal.com/articles/194/meet-gamal-khalifa-champion-of-north-african-em
- 24/7/365: The Evolution of Emergency Medicine. A documentary on the beginning of emergency medicine in the US, and how the founders who led the charge obtained recognition as a specialty
- Our own Hendry Sawe, AFEM VP, in the latest issue of EPi: http://www.epijournal.com/articles/167/hendry-sawe-young-leaders-bring-fresh-energy-to-african-emergency-medicine
- SEARCH-Africa: Increasing access to clean and reliable energy sources in healthcare facilities: http://www.searchafrica.org/
- Support-a-Delegate (Supadel) gets some press: http://stemlynsblog.org/support-an-african-delegate/
- Global Emergency Medicine Literature Review. Highlights and disseminates high quality global EM research through annual publication of a databse of selected articles, summaries, and critical analyses: http://www.gemlr.org/